Exclusively for essential services passengers
From Saturday 28th March only essential service workers and freight will be carried on our ferries. All essential service workers MUST provide work related verification when they arrive at the ferry terminal.
This is only valid for passengers who work for an essential service who need to travel across Cook Strait to work during the level 4 COVID-19 travel restrictions. An essential service is defined by the New Zealand Government here.
Please note during the level 4 restrictions we are only able to take essential service workers travelling within a vehicle. We're unable to take walk on passengers at this time.
Dependent children of essential workers travelling with them on ferries for the purpose of relocating for essential work can travel with their parent/guardian if they are named on the travel letter from their (new) employer.
When you check in, you’ll need to show our crew photo ID and proof that you work for one of the essential services and are required to travel to do work for that essential service. If you’re unable to provide proof your booking will be cancelled. This will be strictly enforced.
For your safety and our crew, you are required to adhere to strict social distancing requirements maintaining at least two metres between yourself and others at all times.
We’re offering our lowest off peak Saver Sail passenger and vehicle fares with our most flexible conditions. You can cancel and get a full refund up to 2 hours before the sailing departure time.
Essential service worker fares:
For bookings and questions related to essential travel please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and conditions
- This is exclusively for:
- Passengers who work for an essential service who need to travel across Cook Strait to work for that essential service during the level 3 or 4 COVID-19 travel restrictions. An essential service is defined by the New Zealand Government and you will find a list of them here: https://covid19.govt.nz/government-actions/covid-19-alert-level/essential-businesses/.
- Passengers who are permitted to travel from Tuesday 28 April during the level 3 COVID-19 travel restrictions. You can find out the details about what is permitted here: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#travel-and-transport
- When you book and check in, you’ll need to show our crew photo ID and the required proof that you’re permitted to travel during the level 3 or level 4 travel restrictions. The covid19.govt.nz website has a list of what you need to provide for each travel reason.
- If you’re unable to provide proof that you’re permitted to travel when you check in, your booking will be cancelled and we won’t be able to check you in. In this instance the fare won’t be refundable – we’ll give you a 6 month credit. This comes into effect for any travel from midnight Friday 27 March 2020 until further notice. This will be strictly enforced.
- For your safety and our crew, during check-in, boarding, during the sailing, and disembarking you are required to adhere to strict social distancing requirements maintaining at least two metres between yourself and others at all times. Failure to do so may result in denying boarding or a subsequent ban on travelling with Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferries in the future.
- No maximum to the number of passengers per booking but they must all show the above proof when they check-in. Without proof they will be removed from the booking and unable to check-in.
- This offer is not available in conjunction with any other offer.
- The deal cannot be redeemed for StraitNZ Bluebridge freight bookings.
- These special fares are not valid when transporting commercial goods. Email email@example.com or call 0800 162 322 for a quote and availability.
- We’re offering our lowest off peak Saver Sail passenger and vehicle fares with our most flexible conditions. Standard off peak Flexi Sail fare conditions apply - bookings aren’t able to be transferred to another person and date changes are subject to availability. Date changes are to be made within the travel period. You can change your sailing for free or cancel for 100% refund as long as you let us know two hours before checking in. After that, no changes or cancellations are permitted. No shows and passengers who aren’t able to provide proof that they’re permitted to travel when they check in are both non-refundable.
- We’ll let you know the check-in procedure before your travel date.
- To book quote the promo code ESSENTIAL when you contact our customer service team. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 844 844.